Monday 22 April 2013

Music magazine genres

  


Music magazines cover a wide range of genres from classical to heavy metal. Usually the target audience changes depending on the general age of those who listen to that music style. The media language of each magazine also changes through the genre as the different target audience uses a different. The key genres of music magazines are rock, indie, pop, classical and R&B.

Rock magazines: These magazines focus on the heavy guitar-based music from the likes of Led Zeppelin and Metalica. One of the major rock magazines is Classic Rock.

Indie magazines: These magazines focus on the independant artists. Independant artists do not get an easy start like the artists who get with a big company who funds a lot of their products. However, they do get more of the money that is profit from any shows/albums. One of the major indie magazines is NME.

Pop magazines: These magazines are the most common type. 'Pop' is just short for popular. Therefore, this genre can be very widespread and appeal to the largest audience as it can feature parts of many other genres. One of the major pop magazines is Billboard.

Classical magazines: These magazines include classical music which has a much lighter tone than rock and pop. It can include opera and instrumentals. One of the major classical magazines is Classic FM.

R&B magazines: These magazines focus on music with rhythm and bass such as Rihanna and Usher. One of the major R&B magazines is Vibe.








I have chosen to use indie as my music magazines genre. I have chosen this as it is the genre I am most interested in and I have looked at magazines in this genre before. I can use my experience of its conventions to create my own while adding in my own flare.








1 comment: